Wow Décor: The Art of Accessorizing
Accessories play an important role in your overall décor plan. They bring color into a space, insert texture where needed, add shape, depth or height, provide focal points, and last but not least, they reflect your personality and style. Simply put, a room without accessories can feel generic and uninviting. That being said, there is an art to accessorizing well and it requires a bit of planning. It’s one of our favorite parts of designing a space because it completes the room and gives it that finishing touch.
Here are the key elements to artful accessorizing:
1. Take cues from the existing color palette in the room. The job of your accessories can either be to enhance the existing shades or to bring color to an otherwise neutral canvas.
2. Be aware of access points and make sure your accessories won’t hinder the traffic flow. With that in mind, an accessory can also be a guide in defining an area or directing traffic.
3. Never overcrowd a tabletop or shelf with too many accessories. Make sure you are able to pick one up without disturbing anything else.
4. Allow your personality to shine through and don’t be afraid to include personal items that have sentimental value.
5. Pay attention to the height, weight and shape of your accessories and place them where they will enhance the surrounding décor.
6. Display accessories in groups. Odd numbers are more interesting to the eye.
7. Vary the size and height of accessories in a grouping.
8. Experiment by moving things around to find the best placement.
So where do you start? It’s good to know all of your options, so here’s a short list of what to consider when accessorizing your space:
· Framed artwork or photographs
· Sculptures, figurines or other art objects
· Candleholders, candles
· Pillows or Cushions
· Floral arrangements
Still stumped? Simply call us today to schedule a consultation 203-405-2126. We would love to help you finish your space with accessories!