Tips for Choosing Paint Colors
We’ve all been there…standing in the paint store, staring at thousands of tiny little sample cards. How can anyone make a decision with all of these choices? If you feel overwhelmed, you’re not alone. Some homeowners end up leaving their walls white for years because they’re afraid of making the wrong choice. We are here to demystify paint color selection process.
1. Look at your existing décor and finishes in your home. Consider what items will definitely be staying in the room and use those as a guide. Also, look at your flooring and cabinets and countertops for kitchens and bathrooms. If you are starting from scratch, look for inspirational photos of rooms that appeal to you.
2. What type of mood do you want to set? Soft and cool tones will create a sense of calm while bold and bright hues will bring energy or drama to a space.
3. Test the color. Paint large poster boards and hang them on the wall. Be sure to pay attention to the finish you’ve selected. Live with them for a few days so you can see how the light changes the color during the day and night hours.
4. Consider the colors in adjacent rooms. This doesn’t mean that everything needs to be the same paint shade, but there should be a comfortable flow between the rooms in your home.
5. Begin in a small space. A bathroom is a good place to experiment with color choice; there’s less of a time and financial commitment.
Still find it overwhelming? We can help. Color consultations are one of our popular services we provide. We can help you with just one room or your entire home. Call us today at 203-405-2126 to find a Decor&You location near you and to schedule a consult today.