This Year, Why Not Make a New Kind of Resolution?
Each New Year is a fresh start, a blank canvas that you can use to create something new and exiting. Now we know there are all sorts of resolutions you can make, but we have a suggestion for 2017. Why not make your home the focus this year and take on a few decorating projects to create spaces you will love? We bet you will be amazed at how much happiness having a home that reflects your own style will bring you. Make 2017 the year to love your home! Take a look at our list of decorating resolutions and pick a few to try.
2017 Decorating Resolutions
1. Create an accent wall. Choose a room you spend a lot of time in, like your bedroom or living room. Create an accent wall with paint or wallpaper. Look to the other items in the room for color or pattern inspiration and select something that will provide a focal point. If you need help, check out our tips for choosing paints colors.
2. Incorporate color. Step outside the neutral zone and bring a bold hue that you love into your décor. Simple ways to do this include paint, accessories such as pillows and throws, hanging new artwork, or a vibrant new area rug. For tips on finding your color confidence, click here.
3. Accessorize. Bring personality into your space by accessorizing. Start with a coffee table or bookshelf if you are just getting started. If you aren’t sure where to begin, read our blog on artful accessorizing here.
4. Spruce up your window treatments. Take a walk through your home and take note of the window treatments in each room. Are they providing enough privacy, allowing enough light in or blocking it out as needed? Pick a room or two that could use some updating and follow these tips.
5. Create a cozy outdoor space. Your deck, porch or patio should be natural extensions of your home. Too often these spaces don’t get as much decorating attention as our indoor spaces. For some great ideas, read our blog on Creating an Outdoor Living Room.
6. Replace worn or outdated furnishings. Take a quick inventory of your older pieces and determine whether they are ready for replacement. If you have a piece that still has good bones, consider reupholstering it.
If you feel your home is ready for a major decorating project or you’d like assistance completing one or more of your resolutions, please give us a call at 203-405-2126 to find a Decor&You near you!