Wow Décor: Incorporating Existing Furnishings & Art Into Your Decorating Plan
Most Southern New Hampshire homeowners have a few treasured family heirlooms they can’t bear to part with whether it’s a chair, piece of art, or an accessory. Would you be surprised to know that it is possible to incorporate them into a new decorating plan without compromising style? It has to be done creatively and carefully, but it can be done and it can look absolutely fabulous.
Here are my tips on how to work your existing furnishings and art into your decorating plan.
1. Balance the old with the new. When you bring an antique or dated piece into your scheme make sure you balance it with at least one other item from the same period. When mixing in new items, keep your colors cohesive and patterns complimentary.
2. Re-upholster or refinish it. Doing this can breathe new life into an old treasured piece. You may love the shape of your grandmother’s old sofa, but the fabric is not your style, so change it! Or, take an old antique table or dresser and paint it or put a completely different stain on it for a completely new look.
3. Create a gallery wall. When you have several pieces of existing artwork a great way to make visual impact is with a gallery wall. The key is to group them together by similar types of art or photographs. One way to create harmony is to change all or some of the frames.
4. Repurpose it. Think beyond the item’s original purpose and how it might be better put to use in your current environment. Some great examples include repurposing and old table or dresser as a bathroom vanity, a bookcase as a bar, or a chest or trunk as a coffee table.
5. Accessorize. Select your favorite books, trinkets and other art pieces and create a display on a table or bookshelf.
6. Hire someone to help. A professional decorator can provide you with ideas you may never have considered. They can also offer unbiased advice since they don’t have any emotional attachment to the furnishings.
Are you experiencing a decorating dilemma? I am here to help! Please contact me at 603-672-9452 today at my Southern New Hampshire Decor&You to set up a design consultation and let’s create a space together that you will love.